Twitch is the young writers’ program for the Tasmanian Writers Centre.
We help aspiring writers with creative practice, professional development, publishing advice and networking.
In 2016 we will offer monthly workshops – “Twitch Tuesdays” on:
- writing fiction
- applying for grants
- getting published
- DIY magazines
- making comics
In August and October we will collaborate with the Hobart City Council’s YouthARC to run a series of creative writing workshops.
We will offer in-house “Hot Desk” residencies for young writers at the Tasmanian Writers Centre in the Salamanca Arts Centre.
We will also extend our residency programs into regional Tasmania throughout the year.
Hot Desk for Young Writers at TWC
Twitch and the Tasmanian Writers Centre are pleased to announce our inaugural Hot Desk Residency program for young writers. We have timed the announcement for 2016 Youth Week. Over the course of 2016, four residencies will be offered for writers aged 18-30. The residencies will include payment of $250 per writer and access to a workspace in the Tasmanian Writers Centre (Salamanca Arts Centre) over a four week period.
During this time you will have the opportunity to work on your own writing projects. You will also develop a short piece of work inspired by the Salamanca environs and the concept of Tasmanian Words. This will be 1000-2500 words essay/non-fiction/fiction, or 20-50 lines poetry, and will be published on the Tasmanian Writers Centre website.
Residencies will be offered in May/June and September/October. These residencies have been created to give you time to think and the space to write. The Hot Desk residencies will also introduce you and your work to the wider writing community as we will feature all our writers and their projects on our website. Hot Desk writers will also have the chance to read their work at the Tasmanian Writers Centre reading nights.
Expressions of interest open 8 April and close 2 May.
What to do:
- Submit an Expression of Interest (EOI) explaining why you would like to take up this opportunity.
- Send your EOI along with your contact details, your age and a small sample of your writing (no more than 1000 words) to [email protected] by close of business May 2, 2016.
- Successful applicants will be notified by May 20.
- Completed and edited essays must be submitted by 30 July 2016 or 30 November 2016 depending on when the residency is undertaken.
- Successful writers can nominate a time and day they’d like to take up the residency, preferably Thursday and Fridays.
- Essays will be published online via the Tasmanian Writers Centre website.
- Each of the writers will be asked to read their work at the Tasmanian Writers Centre event.
- Each of the writers will be paid $250 at the conclusion of their residency and on satisfactory submission of their essay program.
- Copyright remains with the writers.