Joining the Tasmanian Writers Centre is an excellent first step for emerging writers and an essential support for established writers. We are not-for-profit and put all our funds into supporting literature.
Established writers may seek teaching opportunities in our statewide workshop program, career support through our high-profile readings, festival partnerships and feature events, access to visiting writers for networking, and free marketing for their book launches.
For emerging writers, we offer guidance, outstanding literary events, services such as manuscript assessment and connection to a wide literary community. Our monthly newsletter, Writas, offers latest industry news, events listings, competitions and opportunities to develop your work – often running to ten or more pages of writer-specific opportunities.
Membership is annual from the date you join. It costs $60 for adult membership, $45 with a Centrelink concession card, $30 for members under 30, and $25 for members under 21. Benefits include:
- Excellent discounts on writing workshops – complete a half day or full day writing workshop, usually on a Sunday; or join an ongoing course with Tasmania’s top authors.
- Manuscript assessment service – special rates with leading authors to get feedback on your work and ideas for further development.
- Newsletters – Writas, the Tasmanian Writers Centre monthly e-newsletter with the latest news on competitions and opportunities to win prizes, professional development opportunities, residencies and fellowships. This Writing Month, our other monthly newsletter, features information on the TWC program, literary events, and local readings.
- Free events – poetry and prose readings open to the public, special readings by visiting authors, and other literary events.
- 10% off all purchases at the Hobart Book Shop, our corporate sponsor, at 22 Salamanca Square, when you show your membership card.
- 10% off all purchases at the Devonport Bookshop, at the Hub Arcade, 30 Stewart Street.
- Concession rate entry to movies at the luxurious State Cinema, North Hobart.
- Tasmanian Writers Centre Readings at the Lark – Our premier reading series. Hear and meet leading Tasmanian, interstate and international writers and enjoy a the world-renowned Lark whisky. See our events listings for details on what we’ve got coming up.
- Free lending access to the TWC Professional Library – resources to develop your writing career, and new Tasmanian titles for borrowing.
- Links to your local writing community, and writers’ centres across Australia and internationally.
1 YEAR MEMBERSHIP
Full Rate – $66
Concession/Regional – $50
TWITCH membership (21-30 year olds) -$33
21 and Under – $25
Organisation – $110
2 YEAR MEMBERSHIP
Full Rate – $120
21 and Under – $50
5 YEAR MEMBERSHIP
Stellar Membership – $250