Julie Hunt describes her work as feet-on-the-ground fantasy. She uses the world of fable and folktale to create gripping stories for children of all ages. Her picture book The Coat (illustrated by Ron Books) won the Children’s Book Council of Australia Award in 2013 and her debut novel Song for a Scarlet Runner (2013) won the inaugural Readings Children’s Book Prize and was shortlisted for the CBCA Award for Younger Readers, the Prime Minister’s Award and the Aurealis Award.
Her graphic novel, KidGlovz, illustrated by Dale Newman, has been been shortlisted for 2016 CBCA Crichton Award for New Illustrators. She is currently working on a sequel.
List of books
- Shoestring – The Boy who Walks on Air (Allen & Unwin, forthcoming). Illustrator Dale Newman
- KidGlovz (Allen & Unwin 2015). Illustrator Dale Newman
- Song for a Scarlet Runner (Allen & Unwin 2013)
- The Coat (Allen & Unwin 2012). Illustrator Ron Brooks
- Precious Little (with Sue Moss – Allen & Unwin 2010). Illustrator Gaye Chapman
- Little Else Trickrider (Allen & Unwin 2010)
- Little Else On the Run (Allen & Unwin 2010)
- Little Else Ghost-hunter (Allen & Unwin 2010)
- Away! Away! (Roland Harvey 2000)
- The Answerman (Hyland House 1991)